Yale Young Global Scholars Need-Based Scholarship program accepts applications from all countries and offers students the opportunity to apply for need-based financial aid to students from all countries.
Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) is one of the most diverse two-week academic summer programs in the world. Serving more than 2,000 students from 150+ countries and all 50 US states, YYGS distributes more than $3 million in need-based financial aid to domestic and international students.
Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) Need-Based Scholarship
YYGS is proud to be one of the few pre-college programs in the world that provide need-based financial aid to domestic and international students equally, which is offered as a tuition discount (up to 100% of tuition).
Yale Young Global Scholars offers a limited number of scholarships, which are need-based financial aid packages that cover almost full tuition. In some cases, families have to contribute $50. Students with demonstrated financial need are encouraged to apply for YYGS need-based financial aid.
Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Alumni Scholarship
The Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Alumni Scholarships will be awarded to selected students who have completed the YYAS program in any summer prior to 2023. The scholarship covers full tuition for students who may attend any of the YYGS sessions offered in 2023.
You may also like
Young Leaders Scholarship (YL)
YL Scholarships will be awarded to select students in the US and internationally who identify as at least ONE of the following:
- Black or African American (including African and Caribbean)
- Hispanic and/or Latino/Latina/Latinx
- Members of indigenous peoples, nations, and/or communities
Financial Benefits of Yale Young Global Scholars Need-Based Scholarship
The scholarship covers full tuition fees for students who can attend any of the YYGS sessions offered in 2023.
Eligibility Criteria for Yale Young Global Scholars Need-Based Scholarship
In order to apply to YYGS, applicants MUST meet all of the following requirements:
- Age You must be at least 16 years old by 19 July 2023 (the first day of Session III).*
- English Fluency Be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Grade Level Be a current high school sophomore or junior (or international equivalent).
- Graduation Date Graduate in May/June 2024 or 2025 in the Northern Hemisphere or in November/December. 2023 or 2024 from the southern hemisphere.
- Participation in YYGS
- Become the first participant of YYGS. If you attended a YYGS session during the previous summer** (2021 and earlier), you are not eligible to attend YYGS 2023.
Note: If you have previously applied to YYGS but were not offered admission or were unable to attend AND you meet the eligibility criteria above, we encourage you to re-apply to YYGS 2023.
Required application components:
YYGS reviews all applications holistically. Our staff understands that students come from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of educational and extracurricular opportunities. As a result, essays and letters of recommendation are the most important part of the application.
All students must submit the following application components:
- List of activities
- One essay of 400 words and one answer of 200 words
- Two “quick” responses (280 characters each)
- Official school transcript
- Two referrers (who will complete YYGS* referral forms ONLY)
- Application Fee** ($60 Early Action and $75 Regular Decision)
- In order for your request to be considered, you must click the Submit Request button on the “Review” page.
- OPTIONAL: English Fluency Test Results (TOEFL or DuoLingo)
- OPTIONAL: Financial aid as needed
YYAS & YYGS application
Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is a sister program of YYGS and is designed for high school students on the African continent. If you are interested in applying for both YYAS and YYGS, please complete the following steps:
- Submit your application to the program you are most interested in (YYGS application or YYAS* application).
- If you are applying to YYGS, there is a section at the end of the application where you can indicate your interest in applying to the YYAS program as well.
- If you are applying to YYAS, there is a section at the beginning of the application where you can indicate your interest in also applying to the YYGS program.
- That’s it! By marking a secondary interest, you will automatically be considered for both programs. After YYGS and YYAS applications are thoroughly reviewed, applicants will receive one offer of admission to YYAS or YYGS.
It may be beneficial to you
- Pool #1 Application Deadline: 11:59 PM ET on November 2, 2022
- Pool #2 Application Deadline: 11:59 pm ET on January 10, 2023
- By January 10, 2023, you MUST complete the entire online YYGS application, including the need-based financial aid section.
- As part of reviewing your financial aid application, YYGS staff will automatically check to see if you meet any of our 2023 scholarship requirements and will contact you once decisions are made by mid-March.
(Application link coming soon)