Melbourne University Tertiary Access Payment program was developed by the Australian Government to help university students from regional and remote areas with the costs of relocation and to encourage them to start tertiary studies immediately after completing high school. Payment is administered by Services Australia.
|up to $5,000 (Single payment)
|No. of Scholarships
|Applicable Study Areas
Eligibility Criteria for the Australian Government’s Melbourne University Tertiary Access Payment
To be eligible you must be a moving student from home to an Australian university to study with a tertiary education provider. This payment is for those students who start their studies in the year after completing Year 12 or equivalent.
To be eligible for the Melbourne University Tertiary Access Payment, you must:
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen
- have completed grade 12 or equivalent
- have applied for a University of Melbourne undergraduate course commencing in the year following completion of Year 12 or equivalent
- be from an inner regional, outer regional, remote, or very remote area (use the student regional area search tool to check eligibility)
- provide proof that your parents or guardians have a total income of less than $250,000 or are exempt from meeting this requirement
- move to study at the University of Melbourne and your family home is at least 90 minutes by public transport from the University of Melbourne
- be at least 16 years old, or 15 years old if living independently, and not over 22 years old at the time the course starts
Melbourne University Tertiary Access Payment is guaranteed to all eligible students who successfully apply.
What are the benefits of Melbourne University?
Payment for tertiary access is made through Centrelink and provides either:
- $3,000 for students from inner regional areas, paid in a lump sum, or
- $5,000 for students from outer regional, remote, or very remote areas, paid in two payments
- You must apply online for the Tertiary Access Payment through Centrelink.
- Before submitting your claim, please make sure you have set up your Centrelink online account if required.
It may be beneficial to you:
The deadline to apply for the Australian Government’s Melbourne University Tertiary Access Payment is 31 Dec 2022.